Thursday, March 25, 2010

My Life Changing Experience!! =0)

Tuesday, March 23, 2010, I was called by my physician to come to a class on diabetics. I agreed and went to the 2 hour class. There I found out lots of information and that my condition is alot more serious than I had thought. I am a type 2 diabetic. I pretty much ate anything I wanted. I had gotten to the point where I really didn't care. They had me check my sugar and It was through the roof. They were soo worried and concerned about my health. Dana asked me could I come in the next morning she wanted to start me on the insulin shot. I was terrified. I went home and cried like a baby to my husband. He kept trying to tell me that it will all be ok. I have been on the pill for 5 months and it wasn't makin a difference. Neither one of us got much sleep that night from worrying.

The next morning, I got up as usual and started my daily routine. At this point, I haven't told anyone but my hubby, mommy, and sister. The 3 most important people in my life and who will NEVER judge me. I felt soo ashamed. I knew it was from me not taking care of myself and I didn't want everyone to know that. My appointment was at 8:45. Blake and I had to sit there for sever hours b4 I was seen. About 30 minutes of being in the room, in walked Dana. My heart dropped. I was soo scared. I didn't want to go alone, but I had no one to go with me. She had a box of syrenges and to boxes of insulin. As she opened the boxes and was showing me all that, I just broke out into a huge sweat. I just couldn't believe I was really having to do this. Dana showed me how to give myself the shot. She wanted me to do it but I couldn't. I had her do it. When I left the clinic, I only told 3 0r 4 people. I didn't want anyone to know. Last night, I had to give myself my first shot. I was scared to death. I got the insulin in the syrenge and got the needle in my tummy, but I just couldn't get to mash down and inject the meds. I had to holler for Joe to help..lol It wasn't as bed as I thought it was gonna be. This morning, I had to do it alone. I was nervous, but I done a good Job. I'm soo glad it's not as bad as I had originally thought.

Like I said b4, I didn't want to tell anyone about now becomming a type 1 Diabetic and having to take the insulin shot because I was ashamed. Well, just in a little over 24 hours, my sugar has dropped a tremendious amount. I now have realized that I am FAR from the only one that has to give themselves shots for diabeties. I life depends on thses 2 shots everyday to live. I am soo thankful to be able to take this shot b4 it's to late. There are alot of people that found out they were diabetics when it was to late, at the end of their journey!! So now, I am proud to say, that I am a type 1 diabetic and I have to give myself a shot twice a day. I'm so proud that I get another chance on life to take better care of myself. Not only will this losing weight and taking care of my sugar problem help my life, it can also be the reason for Joseph and I not being able to concieve. Everything happens for a reason and I have another outlook on life!! =)

2 comments:

  1. Katie, I don't think you have anything to be ashamed of.. I hope you continue to do well with the insulin injections!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found out that I was diabetic about 2 to 3 years ago... However, I don't have take insulin and I'm type 2. Being diabetic is not bad just aggrevating.. I also have acid reflux so between the two diets...i'm basically down to just water and I hate water or at least to drink all the time...I probably eat and drink a lot that I'm not suppose to but I just try not to eat and drink a lot of it...

    Don't be ashamed..it doesn't mean you don't take care of yourself..sometimes it's just genes... Both of my grandmothers were diabetic and now my mom is (she found out about a year ago)...so it was bound to happen to me someday.. It is serious and we should take it serious but we don't need to let control our life!! Take care girl!! I will keep you in my prayers!! BTW...I enjoy reading your blog and thanks for following mine!!

    ReplyDelete