Sunday, July 14, 2013

Adoption Day!!

Well it's official. Emma Katherine is legally mine. Our adoption day has came and gone. It's so bittersweet but Joe and I couldn't be happier knowing Emma is finally ours. My heart goes out to my sweet niece, Rikki and her boyfriend, Keith!!  Joseph and I owe all of our happiness to those selfless babies. I just know one day they will be great parents to another precious angel and I can wait. :).

The day started off pretty good. Today is the day Lori was to go home so she had to get up and gather all her stuff. (She left a pair of shorts I'm gonna have to send to her.)  After getting Emma and I ready we had to go get Joe from work. After getting to Tuscaloosa Lee called and said they were in Tuscaloosa. I was so excited because I wanted Rikki Leigh to come see Emma's room. :). After getting Joe we went and got Rikki for her to ride with us.  Rikki started crying before she even saw Emma. :)). I love that sweet girl more than she will ever know.

Keith had clinicals so he wasn't able to come.  :(  Since he is an adult we were able to mail him his paperwork for him to sign, have notarized, and mail back.  It totally sucked he couldn't be here but if there were any way possible he could have been he would have.   They will both come back soon to see Emma together.  :)

Joe, Rikki, Emma, and I headed back to my house with Lee, Lori, and Scotty following behind us.   Once we got here, I was super excited for Rikki to see Emma's room.  :))  She loved it and it made me soo happy.

By this time it was time for Emma to eat.  I made her a bottle and Rikki fed her.  It was so sweet watching them 2 together.

She just looks so natural.  Rikki couldn't stop looking at Emma.  Make my heart happy to see them 2 together.  For Emma to look so much like Rikki they also look soo different.  It's kinda weird.  lol

I snapped a few pictures of Rikki and Emma in my front yard before heading to court.  They turned out sooo beautifully.  I am going to print them off and put in Emma's room for her to look at.  I think she will love it.  

This was my favorite one.  My beautiful niece and her baby girl.  So beautiful.


We had to be at the lawyers office at 2:30 for Rikki's lawyer to talk to her before the court actually started.  We had to wait for what seemed like forever.


We were just patiently waiting.

Finally we were called back to the little side room for our court.  We had to sit there longer and wait for Rikki's lawyer to get there.  He was called short notice so it wasn't his fault.   This was Rikki holding Emma waiting.  It was so sweet.
My beautiful girls.  These 2 sweet babies are so dear to my heart and I love them both soooo much and would give my life for them both.  

Finally our court was started.  It was sad but we made it.  Lots and lots of tears were shed and my heart was broken for my precious Rikki but she's such a strong girl.  When she has her mind set to something she doesn't let anything change it.  I will forever be thankful for her selfless act.  Our petition for adoption was granted.....Thank God!!!  

After our court was over and before Rikki had to leave we went out to the front of the court house and took pictures one last time.
Rikki and her family, minus Keith.

Beautiful.  I love it.  I can't help but love every picture of these 2 together. 

:)

Emma and her 2 mommies.  She is so loved and was before she was even born.

Emma, both her mommies, and one of her daddy's.  Wish Keith could have been there then this picture would have been complete.

This is one of my absolute favorites.  Emma will ALWAYS know Rikki loved her more than her own life...That's why she chose to adopt her out.  Emma will grow up to love Rikki so much. I will make sure of that.  

I love seeing Rikki wearing the necklace Joe and I picked out for her.  Means so much to me.


I can't believe our adoption process is over.  There have been soooo many nerves, tears, and heartache involved but it's now over.  We have a new beginning and I am so happy for it.  Just for the record, just because Rikki and Keith signed their rights over to Joe and I for Emma didn't mean they closed that chapter in their life.  It just means they have started a new beginning together, and also with Emma, but just from a distance.  They both know they are always welcome here at our home and to see Emma anytime they want to.  Joe and I are so excited to see Rikki and Keith achieve the goals they had set for themselves before Emma was conceived, but we are more excited to allow Emma to be apart of it.  I can't wait to take Emma next year to Rikki's high school graduation and for Emma to be clapping and so excited for her.  Will definitely have a post on that when the time comes.  :)

So here is to our new beginning.....The life of Joseph, Katie, and Emma Katherine Tanner.  We ARE a family of 3...Something I never thought I would ever get to say but thanks to Rikki and Keith I can.  :)  



2 comments: